Hello, late in writing coursework ? Don't worry I know who can help you !Trusted Academic Service
Kingsley House is dedicated to a continuous quality improvement (CQI) process. This philosophy assures all clients receive effective and professional services. Our CQI plan commits time and resources to provide quality clinical programs, quality staff resources, ongoing building improvements, and financial stability. It is our belief that consistent review of all our procedures promotes improved performance.
Kingsley House is dedicated to offering services that adhere to evidence based/informed practices. Examination of outcome data and client satisfaction is one aspect of our CQI process.
At Kingsley House, we are proud of our rich history in helping to improve the lives of families in the community. During our many years of service, we have served a vast array of people; we helped Irish and German immigrants settle in New Orleans during the end of the 19th century, provided neighborhood children and families with educational and recreational opportunities throughout the 20th century, and continue to help residents resettle after Hurricane Katrina in the new millennium.
While the needs of the community have changed over the years, Kingsley House has retained its fundamental mission to educate children, strengthen families and build community.
Kingsley House was founded in 1896 by the Reverend Beverley Warner of Trinity Episcopal Church and is the oldest settlement house in the South. Warner, a graduate of Princeton and native of New Jersey, came to New Orleans in 1893 to Trinity Church and saw a need for action in the nearby neighborhood. In addition to being a clergyman, he was an author who advocated the use of wealth to help the poor to improve their livelihood while maintaining self respect, as exemplified in his novel Troubled Waters. He eventually realized the fruition of his ideals when he established Kingsley House to help immigrants overcome language, cultural, social and family displacement barriers as they settled in New Orleans.
Eleanor McMain was instrumental in shaping Kingsley House into a model of excellence in the field of social work. After taking over day-to-day operations as head resident in 1901, she ensured the settlement house offered programs comparable to any in the country. In the years to come under her direction, Kingsley House became a New Orleans institution and she herself would gain fame as a social activist and one of the preeminent social workers in the U.S. In fact, she helped establish the Tulane School of Social Work, which was formally instituted at the Kingsley House campus in 1921 and is the fifth-oldest school of social work in the country. She also visited Hull House in Chicago and worked closely with Jane Addams to develop effective methods in meeting the needs of the residents and the surrounding community. Her vision and legacy continues to shape the mission of Kingsley House to this day by providing services the community needs most.
In the early days, Kingsley House actively identified problems facing the community and worked together with key stakeholders in the community to develop solutions. For example, staff and members gathered facts about tuberculosis and formed the Anti-Tuberculosis League, where doctors provided free health clinical visits and checkups. Kingsley House also worked to pass a child labor law and helped eradicate yellow fever by screening windows and cisterns throughout the neighborhood. In addition, classes were offered to teach valuable trade skills and general education. In fact, the first kindergarten in the state of Louisiana was introduced at Kingsley House and was provided free of charge to children living in the neighborhood. Lighthouse for the Blind also evolved from Kingsley House classes for the sight impaired in 1916.
Throughout its history, Kingsley House has been a recreational, educational and social center for thousands upon thousands of youth in the surrounding area, particularly among residents of the adjacent St. Thomas housing development which was erected in the 1940s. Over the years, a myriad of sporting events, dances and other recreational activities have been held on our grounds. Our swimming pool, which opened in 1957, was the first integrated pool in the city of New Orleans and provided all children in the area with hours of enjoyment and much needed swim instruction during the sweltering summer months. Kingsley House is also the venue where countless young boys and girls learned to play basketball, volleyball, badminton and other sports, and continue to do so today. In fact, the New Orleans Recreation Department was first instituted at Kingsley House.
At the heart of Kingsley House are the people that comprise our family. We have a staff that provides high quality services to our participants, a Board of Directors who guide the agency, and over 7,000 individuals who participate in our programs each year. We also have a wide network of partners with whom we collaborate in accomplishing our mission.
Our Board of Directors come from a cross-section of professional backgrounds and provide expert leadership and guidance in overseeing the strategic direction and management of the organization. The Board meets each month to conduct general business and focuses on issues important to the agency and community as well. All board members serve without compensation.
At Kingsley House, we have a wide network of partners with whom we collaborate in accomplishing our mission. These organizations range from federal, state and local public institutions to small, grassroots groups, all working together toward rebuilding our community.
Originating in the city of New Orleans, we have expanded beyond our Main Campus in the Lower Garden District and have additional offices in New Orleans East, Columbia Parc at the Bayou District and Educare New Orleans. We serve participants throughout the 13 parishes of Southeast Louisiana.
1600 Constance St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
New Orleans East Office
5646 Read Blvd. Suite 160
New Orleans, LA 70127
Columbia Parc Office
1401 Saint Denis Street
New Orleans, LA 70122
Educare New Orleans
3801 St. Bernard Avenue
New Orleans, La 70122
Recognized as a leader in the area of social service, Kingsley House selects the most passionate and skilled social work professionals. As one of our staff, you will reflect the values that make us a premier social service agency. Here, in a diverse environment where individual aspirations are fulfilled and quality of life is enhanced, you will be inspired to work alongside your fellow employees to help children and families in Southeast Louisiana.
Kingsley House is an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization. Kingsley House does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information in its programs and activities.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504, no qualified person will be denied access to, participation in, or the benefits of, any program or activity operated by the Kingsley House because of disability. Kingsley House will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities in employment practices and activities, including, but not limited to, application procedures, hiring, tenure, promotion, advancement, termination, training, compensation and benefits. Kingsley House will not discriminate against a qualified individual because of the known disability of another individual with whom the qualified individual is known to have a relationship or association.
Diversity & Inclusion
Kingsley House Inc. with its employees, works towards its mission to educate children, strengthen families and build community. Kingsley House is proud to be an active member of the communities in which we do business. Building Communities the Kingsley House way is the blueprint of our commitment to support and invest in these communities.
Kingsley House, the first Settlement House in the South, opens at 929 Tchoupitoulas as a part of the parish work of Trinity Episcopal Church, under the guidance of Dr. Beverley Warner, rector.
Kingsley House moves to 1202 Annunciation Street. Under the head resident, Miss Katherine Hardy, Miss Eleanor McMain becomes a resident worker.
The Kingsley House library is founded by the Sunshine Society. The night program begins with a class of four pupils. Dr. Warner appoints Miss Eleanor McMain head resident.
Kingsley House becomes independently incorporated, with the charter of the Kingsley House Association signed by Dr. Beverley Warner as president, and Rabbi I.L. Leucht of Touro Synagogue as vice president.
Dr. Samuel Logan opens a clinic for women and children at Kingsley House. The first Kingsley House summer school opens.
The Kingsley House playground opens on Constance Street, the first playground in the city of New Orleans. Dr. George S. Brown and Mrs. Maggie Collins, a member of the Kingsley House Woman’s Club, join the nationwide fight against tuberculosis and help form the Anti-Tuberculosis League. Miss Eleanor McMain and a Tulane University student, John K. Towles, conduct a survey of the housing conditions of the neighborhood leading to enhanced resources to address area challenges.
Kingsley House closes because of the Yellow Fever epidemic. The neighbors and workers of Kingsley House join in the fight to rid New Orleans of the epidemic. Kingsley House hosts initial meetings of the Woman’s League, with Eleanore McMain as its co-founder and first president, calling for an end to inadequate housing, unsanitary conditions and deplorable schools.