Start reflective writing essay
In this type of writing, your purpose is to engage your reader with more than just a re-telling of a story. You must reflect on your experience and really outline how you have changed as a person and how your life has been affected or impacted.
This is writing about something that has happened in your life and has really impacted on you for good or bad.
- Something that has changed your life - birth, death, illness or an issue.
- Something that really annoys you - racism, bigotry or social inequalities.
- You will be writing about your memories of an event or experience which you had significant feelings about before, during and afterwards.
- You are not re-telling the story.
This is perhaps the more difficult segment. When reflecting you really need to think about yourself and how the personal experience changed you.
- You are reflecting on memories of your feelings, expressing them, reflecting on them with thoughts and opinions, and considering them with the power of hindsight (looking back).
- What have you learned about yourself?
- How have you grown? Developed? Changed?
- Statements such as: "Looking back", "I can see now" can all start the reflective thinking process.
- Explores some aspect of the world.
- Presents your thoughts and feelings on it
- Discusses how you think it has affected the person you are today.
- Describes the person you are/your opinions of yourself.