Theseus and oberon essay
- 2.1: We learn from Puck and a Fairy that Oberon has been fighting with his wife, Titania, over her foster child. We also learn that Oberon wants the little "changeling" boy to be his page, but Titania won't give him up.
- 2.1: Oberon runs into his wife, Titania, in the woods and has a big fight with her about her foster child.
- 2.1: We learn that Oberon and Titania have been having some major blowouts that have impacted the natural world. (We're talking disrupted weather patterns and failed crops.)
- 2.1: Oberon demands that Titania hand over the little boy, but she ignores him.
- 2.1: Oberon asks Puck to fetch him a flower with magic love "juice."
- 2.1: Oberon tells a story about how he discovered the magic juice and how it was created: One time, when he was watching a mermaid riding around and singing on a dolphin's back, he noticed that Cupid was trying to hit a virgin queen with his love dart. Cupid missed his mark and hit a white pansy instead, turning it purple and giving it magical properties.
- 2.1: Oberon tells us that he plans to sprinkle the love "juice" in Titania's eyes while she sleeps. When she wakes up, she'll fall in love with the first thing she sees. While Titania's busy being in love, he'll swipe the little changeling boy from her.
- 2.1: Oberon watches as Demetrius mistreats Helena. He decides Demetrius needs a little dose of the love juice as well.
- 2.2: Oberon tells Puck to sprinkle the potion in the "Athenian man's" eyes so he'll wake up and fall for Helena.
- 2.2: Oberon doses Titania with the juice while she sleeps.
- 3.2: Oberon learns that Titania woke up and immediately fell in love with an "ass" (Bottom). He's delighted.
- 3.2: Oberon learns that Puck screwed up and put the love juice in the wrong Athenian man's eyes and now Lysander loves Helena.
- 3.2: Oberon tries to fix things, so he sprinkles juice in Demetrius's eyes so he'll fall for Helena.
- 3.2: Oberon watches the young Athenian men fight over Helena in the wood. Eventually, he tells Puck to fix it so that Lysander will love Hermia and Demetrius will love Helena.
- 4.1: Oberon watches Titania as she sleeps, curled up next to her new lover, Bottom. He says that he feels bad that he made his wife fall in love with an ass.
- 4.1: We learn that Oberon managed to convince Titania to give her the little "changeling" boy.
- 4.1: Oberon is very satisfied and decides to reverse his wife's love spell. He also orders Puck to fix Bottom's head.
- 4.1: When Titania snaps out of her love stupor, Oberon tells his wife not to be embarrassed about hooking up with a donkey because, hey, everybody makes mistakes.
- 4.1: Oberon takes Titania in his arms and celebrates being together once again. He tells her that tomorrow they'll dance in the Duke's house in Athens, blessing it and all the couples merrily.
- 5.1: Oberon attends Theseus and Hippolyta's wedding.
- 5.1: When all the newly married couples have gone to bed, Oberon and the other fairies dance around, sing songs, and bless the marriage beds of the human couples.
Find out what that little icon means. and why we're funny.
The who, what, where, when, and why of all your favorite quotes.
© 2016 Shmoop University. All rights reserved. We speak tech
© 2016 Shmoop University. All rights reserved.
You've been inactive for a while, logging you out in a few seconds.